Tuesday, August 28, 2012

When everything goes wrong...

I am in the middle of a mileage run using up a travel certificate on united.

I got a fare for Tucson to LA to Newark and then back for $10 in airport taxes.

I had to book repositioning flights separately as well. I used 7,500 BA avios ($2.50 security fee) for the non stop AA flight to Tucson and then for the return, I booked on US Airways with a connection in Phoenix as they were the cheapest.

Here's what went wrong today:
1) AA does not allow free upgrades into First class on mileage ticket (unless the agent doesn't pay attention). Even though there were 2 empty seats in first, I was stuck in coach. Technically I was asking for them to bend the rules, but I was not lucky this time since DFW is home base and the agents know the rules.

I have had free upgrades on united 3 times using mileage tickets in the past as it is a credit card benefit. Funny enough, they were booked under different stock (CO, UA and US) so it is possible to get an upgrade on a mileage ticket on United (and on Delta for that matter). It seems that the United system treats it like a revenue ticket.

2) SHARES went down for 2 hours today. So no self check in today and there were long lines plus mean agents that were frustrated.

3) Regional Premier Upgrade did not clear today. First time on an red eye transcontinental flight (using an upgrade instrument too!) in coach on both ways. I have been wait listed for 2 months and no luck. I did clear on my AA flights earlier this year and also on my United P.S. flights using Regional Upgrades.

4) The SkyWest flight attendant on my Tucson to LA was one of those "primarily for your safety" flight attendant that took a seat in the back after her beverage service for 20 passengers was over and read her magazine.

5) Flight delays on both of my LAX-EWR and EWR-LAX flights.  I did sleep a few hours on my LAX-EWR window seat and had a sandwich before going to sleep.

6) I went to the wrong United Club at EWR and there were no showers there.  I had to go to the one by the bugger club closer to the international flight gates for showers (fortunately with no waiting needed upon arriving the shower area).

The highlight of my day was being able to finally meet Liz, my favorite former Executive Platinum agent, in person at the Tucson airport today and being able to chat with her. She is one of the nicest people one can talk to or meet and I wish her the best for her career at AA.

No comments:

Post a Comment