Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Part 10: San Francisco Airport United First Class Lounge









************************************


Part 10: San Francisco Airport United First Class Lounge
We landed at 8:15 AM and I quickly rushed to the C & I hall as I was the third passenger out of the door but the first one to reach Immigration.  I quickly proceeded to the Global Entry Kiosk and it only took me about two minutes to get through the prompts and my cleared receipt out.  I then went to baggage claim and turned on my phone to catch up on my text messages/voicemails from the last three weeks.  Made a few phone calls to family members and texted my boss to see what my work schedule for the week would be (since I would be working the next three days.) 
I waited about twenty minutes before my bags came out and clearing customs was a breeze.  I had to re-check my luggage at the transfer counter upstairs in the International Terminals and somehow forgot that I had an invitation to the United Arrivals Lounge.  I got by ceramic vases out and would carry them on as I am paranoid about them being broken along with a shirt and I stashed my United amenity bag into my checked luggage and then went to go through security to my connecting flight onto Dallas by gate 73A.  I went to the priority line and for some reason the TSA agent made everyone wait in line for the body scanner and the metal detector was forgone until she caused a backup and a supervisor had to explain that the body scanner only required one passenger to wait while the metal detector line was to be open. 

I made my way to the Red Carpet Club (RCC) to inquire about the First Class Lounge which the agent had to call to see if I had access to it.  She asked me why did I not use the Arrivals Lounge and I told her I did not know about it.  She told me to proceed to gate 98 to use the First Class Lounge and to get a quick shower in before my next flight.  I then went to Terminal 2 to the American portion of the airport to use the Admiral's Club (AC) and inquired about the possibility of misconnecting on my next trip to China and the agent was very nice in explaining that I would be taken care of due to being an Executive Platinum member as long as I was booked with the proper connecting time on my separate ticket on MU.  I stayed for about 45 minutes to catch up on my emails and then headed to the international terminal to use the United First Class Lounge at about 10 AM (55 minutes before my next flight) with a ten minute wait to get there.



The agent asked me where I was and that she had been waiting for me for a long time.  She called downstairs to have them prepare one of the showers for me and instructed me on how to get there.  She cautioned me that I had about fifteen minutes before I had to board and I hurried downstairs towards the shower.  One of the attendants met me downstairs and had me proceed to use shower #2.  It was big and the only thing missing was a toilet.  Towels and toiletries were available for use and it all took me about ten minutes to get refreshed and revitalized.  A warm shower after a long haul flight is one of the best feelings in the world and definitely worth it after a long overnight flight.  It is one of the reasons I bought an AC membership and almost for certain that I will renew it this year.  I then packed up my belongings and hustled to the dining area to grab some sandwiches and a few drinks before heading off to my connecting flight in Terminal 3.  I packed away some of the wraps and a few bottle of waters just in case the food on my flight is not what I expected.  The food selection was definitely better than the FM lounge back in Shanghai and I only regret not spending more time in the lounge.







I got out to the second floor and thanked the agents for their help as they would call the gate to let me know that I was coming.  I was informed that the lounge was only for First Class passengers on United, Lufthansa, and ANA. I suppose that that the Asiana premium and other Star Alliance Gold passengers had to use the RCC and Singapore (SQ) had their own Silver Kris Lounge but could use the RCC probably with their Star Gold Status if applicable.  I got in line to board at gate 73 and by card was flagged red as I went to the wrong line (the flight was headed towards LA on a regional jet).  I went to the correct line of 73A and the premium line was closed so I boarded with Group 3 of general boarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment