Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Part 8: Shanghai Pudong Airport – Shanghai Airlines Business/First Class Lounge









************************************

Part 8: Shanghai Pudong Airport – Shanghai Airlines Business/First Class Lounge
I made my way to the United Counter at Section E of Terminal 2.  There were two lines initially, one for Economy passengers and the other for First/Business/Global Services/1K/Premier Executive/Premier/Star Alliance Gold & Silver.  The second line further divided into other lines and the people in front of me were asked to move to the appropriate line as they were not in Frist Class.  When I arrived at the counter, the same staff member asked if I was in First Class and once I replied, she directed me to counter #4.  I proceeded to give the agent my passport and checked in my one piece of luggage.  He gave me all my boarding passes for my flight from PVG-SFO and then SFO-DFW along with an arrival invitation for SFO and a lounge pass for the Shanghai Airlines lounge that the Star Alliance members use.  Despite leaving the alliance back in October of last year, FM still allows Star Alliance members/carriers to use their lounge (for a fee of course).  I inquired at the Air China desk to see if they had a lounge and the agent told me "not yet," but they will in the future and their own members use the FM lounge as well.  






I wanted to ask about the check-in procedure for American but I had to wait about an hour before they opened their desk so I will have to ask when I return to the US.  The reason being is that American currently only operates one flight from both Beijing and Shanghai daily to Chicago and starting April 5th of this year, a LA-Shanghai flight will commence.  I intentionally booked my next trip to China on American to use my last pair of System Wide Upgrades, to avoid the ORD Terminal 5 to Terminal 3 transfer, and for anticipating a bonus mile offer for the route.  The bonus did materialize finally about two weeks ago so I will get triple miles for LAX-PVG-LAX portion of the trip (new route promotion bonus on top of my Executive Platinum double miles bonus) netting me with net trip balance just shy of 44K AA miles. 
I used the VIP/First Class security check-in area and was prompted to drink my peach juice (from the CSX VIP lounge) as liquids were not permitted but belts/shoes can stay on going through the metal detector.  I asked to see if I could buy some coffee beans but was told it was not available in the airport duty free shops.  I then made my way to the FM lounge near gate 77 and presented my invitation/boarding class.  They had two sections of service (when compared to only one at Cathay Pacific/Dragonair for OneWorld use.)  I went to the First Class section at first and went to the bathroom but it was small and occupied by other passengers. 
I asked if I could use the Business Class side of the lounge and one of the receptionist told me I could.  I went to the bathroom and it was about three times bigger than the First Class side and it was not full.  There were two food bars and the selections consisted of sushi, soup, fried rice/noodles/finger sandwiches, a salad bar (but few greens), fruit bar, a few desserts, and a few drink coolers.  They had about twenty cubicles for use and the Business side was arranged in a circle which I inadvertently exited and then return on the other side of the entrance.  I made my way back to the First Class section and was stopped by another receptionist who let me pass through once I presented my First Class boarding card.  I snapped a few photos during my short time in the Business Area and then went straight for one of the three small business centers in the First Class side.  They had a massage chair (which I did not get to use) and a desk with a computer for use with internet.  I spent the rest of the time between using the internet and going back to the food area to get more food.  The First Class had the same food as the Business Section for the most part and a few more drink selections along with even less passengers (since Star Alliance Gold can only access the Business lounge).  Boarding began at about an hour before departure and I made my way to the gate area at about 45 minutes before departure after all other Premium/Elite passengers had already boarded.  I quickly gulped down the rest of my beverages (tea/water/soy milk) before leaving the lounge as to not waste anything.  I was surprised that the inspection officers did not bother to check my luggage to see if possibly smuggled in liquids (which I did not) or check my passport.  













1 comment:

  1. Your style is so unique in comparison to other people I've read stuff from. Thanks for posting when you've got the opportunity, Guess I will just bookmark this blog.
    Stop by my web page :: massage doll

    ReplyDelete