Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Part 7: CSX VIP Lounge & CSX-PVG China Eastern Airlines FIRST CLASS








************************************

Part 7: CSX VIP Lounge & CSX-PVG China Eastern Airlines FIRST CLASS
I woke up at about 6:40 AM despite going to bed around midnight.  I quickly got ready and put up away my toiletries after using them into my large suitcase (to be check-in) and then put all my dirty clothes/towels into a pile to be washed and ready for use next time I come back in a few months.  Breakfast was noodles and after rushing through that, I finished getting dressed and was in the car by 7AM for my 8:25AM flight.  I packed my belongings yesterday in the afternoon and then went through it again to sort out what was to be left behind and what needed to be taken back with me back to the US.  I did better this time in terms of taking things back with me but I want to take even more with me next time.  I got a good stash of snacks to take back with me this time: beef jerky, spicy fish snack, preserved ginger, Lay's chips with flavors featured in China, and Beef-Steak flavored Cheetos.


 I got to the airport at about 7:30 AM, took out my luggage, exchanged a few words/a hug and quickly made my way into check-in.  Changsha International Airport domestic flight departure check-in has 2 sections: China Southern Airlines and everyone else.  I waited about twenty minutes in the "other" check-in section before I was given my boarding pass and had checked my luggage through to Shanghai.  I was pleasantly surprised that I had a First Class seat when I was presented with my boarding card along with a VIP lounge invitation and my luggage was tagged "First Class Priority."  I was not expecting it and had I known that this was going to happen, then I could have proceeded to the "other" section's First Class Check-in counter.  I made sure to have the agent put in my Delta Skymiles account number so that I can get credit for the China Eastern Flight.  I had to write out DL on a sheet of paper for her as my Delta card was not something she was familiar with but she got the Frequent Flyer number from the card.  I used the VIP/First Class security and that line was very empty.  With about thirty minutes before boarding, I made my way to VIP Lounge #2 where the attendant instructed me to proceed to VIP Lounge #1 as it was closer to my departure gate of #1.  

Once I made it to the lounge, I only stayed for about five minutes for heading off to board my plane (enough to snap a few photos and grab a few drinks).  There was about twenty seats and one other passenger in there on the same flight as me.  The snack selection was very small but there was a good deal of drinks/juices available.  I only wished I had known that I purchased a First Class ticket and I could have minimized my wait time in check-in and maximized down time in the lounge.  The other passenger inquired about boarding time and the attendant told us it was time to go.  For some reason, there was 2 flight numbers for this flight.  My guess is that one is the original China Eastern (MU) coded flight of 5342 and the other is a code-share of Shanghai Airlines (FM) flight that got recoded as a MU flight with the same flight FM number.  I noticed that MU and FM used to operate separate flight numbers a year ago but since their merger (MU buying out FM), they recoded all flights with MU and FM flight numbers.  





I guess this is their final step in the merger; recoding all FM flights was MU flights while keeping the numbers intact.  The reason being was that MU has several flights between the city pair I was flying as I was not sure if my particular flight was really boarding since a different flight number was called.  I approached the ticket agent and asked if my flight was the next one and she said "yes."  I went backed to the gate waiting area to see the same gentleman as me from the lounge on the same flight as me supposedly.  I did a double take on the TV monitor and the flight number changed to mine.  I immediately went back to the same ticket agent and she apologized and let me know that I was on the correct flight.  I proceeded to the jet bridge and took my seat of 2D.



 
It turns out that I was the only passenger in First Class again.  I had my own flight attendant who introduced herself to me, gave me a pre-departure drink of Orange Juice and asked if I wanted to have a newspaper.  I declined as they were all in Chinese and told her that I cannot read Chinese.  She asked where I was from since I spoke in Chinese with her and I then explained my situation.  She went to scrounge for a China Daily newspaper as it was in English.  She came back later both disappointed and empty handed but I was fine reading the China Eastern Magazine.  After we took off towards Shanghai on a 550 mile flight lasting about 90 minutes, I was offered a hot towel and some breakfast to eat.  Even though I had a bowl noodles a few hours before, I gladly accepted a light breakfast.  It was the first time for me to sit in front on a China domestic flight so it was quite the treat to experience it on the short flight.  Being that I as I was the only passenger, the service did not take long for her to quickly complete.



Breakfast was presented, all on one tray, consisted of: half a salted egg on lettuce, porridge serviced on aluminum tray, plate of fruit (3 grapes/melon wedges/piece of orange), carrot salad, assorted pieces of dim sum and condiments of butter/hot chili paste/salt/pepper.  Breakfast did not take long for me to eat and I only half of the egg (despite not knowing about the shell at first) and left half of the porridge as well.  I chose Orange Juice as my beverage and then green tea after she cleared my breakfast tray.  Since there was some turbulence, I hesitated to get out my computer to work on my trip report.  There was a Mister Bean-esque show on that was entertaining.  After that was over, I reached up to get out my laptop to work on my trip report for about twenty minutes before we prepared to land.  





My flight landed at 9:45AM and we arrived at an apron position in Terminal 1.  I was the first one off the plane and was taken on a private van to the Terminal.  After I got dropped off, I used the bathroom and then to baggage claim.  My bag came out at about 10:15 AM after I picked a seat at carousel #2 and waited.  Despite the fact that I had a First Class priority tag on my luggage, it got ripped off but it came out first among the labeled economy cabin luggage.  I grabbed it and placed it on a trolley and made my way from the first floor to the third floor for International departures.
I somehow ended up at Terminal 1 and realized that when I saw Japan Airlines (JAL) as one of the carriers operating from the Terminal.  All OneWorld carriers with the exception of JAL operate from Terminal 2 as do all the major American Carriers (Delta, American, United, and Continental).  I went to the MU counter to ask about my next trip with them in a few months.   I was sadly informed that I was flying American Airlines into Terminal 2 and connecting on to MU in Terminal 1, with a connecting time of 80 minutes, would not be enough to clear customs/immigration (C & I) and change terminals to check-in myself/luggage and then board as they stop 30 minutes before the flight.  It is the last flight from Shanghai to Changsha so I am in a pickle.  My only hope is to have the American Flight arrive on-time (or even early) and being in Business Class, have my luggage quickly delivered, be one of the first people to go through C & I, and dash from Terminal 2 to Terminal 1 and check in before they cut off 30 minutes before boarding.   I thanked the MU gentleman after he suggested that I change my ticket to the following morning to connect on since he really thinks that I will not be able to make it aside from a miracle since the walk between Terminals is 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment