Thursday, January 31, 2013

Malaysia Airlines awards now Available

I called both American Airlines and British airways at about noon central time today to inquire Huang their respective miles I book award ticket in February.

The AA agent said that it was imminent so I needed to check back later. The BA agent said that it could take months. I was flabbergasted by his response. Seriously? MONTHS? I thanked him and said that I will call back later.

When an airline joins an alliance, they have 12 to 18 month of prep work to do before they join. One would think that I would be taken care of the time they join (especially since the was join date of December was delayed a bit due to the holidays).

I checked back on BA.com at 6PM central time and found award seats available on Malaysia Airlines. Out of CDG and LHR to KUL on the A380, there were only coach seats available.

I tried for flights from HKG to IST via KUL and found business class availability on Cathay Pacific on the first segment and Malaysia Airlines on the second. There would be an 8 hour layover in between the flights which would give me enough time to meet up with a friend/college roommate in Kuala Lumpur plus enjoy the MH lounge at KUL as well.

Here's the kicker: BA wanted price out the award ticket as 120000 Avios and $230 in taxes/fuel surcharges. AA prices out the same intinerary as 55000 miles plus $15 taxes. I chose the later but the only problem was that I could only place a hold on the reservation. I have to wait until tomorrow to ticket it since I will be February 1 in the US.

BA.com is useful to show award inventory but the mileage program is heavily skewed on long haul since the award chart is distance based.

I am glad that I have another option using my AA miles wen flying in/out of Asia. Now if only AA can allow more flexibility in routing using their miles...

No comments:

Post a Comment