Tuesday, January 22, 2013

No upgrade love from United for Boston

I woke up this morning and played around with some dates and flights for LAX to PVG in a few months. The fare was pretty low from LAX (with a united matching). I could even route the trip through ORD for more miles (and better flight times in and out of PVG).

I got to the terminal at 4:50AM as the flight was boarding. It was quick as I used the Delta security check point with Precheck, I was through in 30 seconds. I was the last passenger to board the CRJ 700 flight to Houston. Unfortunately, it was the only flight I was upgraded the whole day.

I bought breakfast at the terminal and took it on board with me for the flight to Boston. It was on a subsidiary Continental Boeing 737-500 with only 8 seats in First and no power plugs nor overhead TV nor in seat DirecTV either. The Houston based crew were actually really nice and friendly on this flight. I am not used to nice crews from the Continental side.

I had my laptop so in caught up on several TV shows and read some newspapers. We even got into Boston about 20 minutes early. I stayed about 30 minutes to charge my devices and catch up on the news. I stopped by Panda Express to grab lunch to go and have a meal on the plane.

No upgrade for my flight back to Houston either. I sat in the same seat 8D (economy plus). The woman in front of me even asked if she could recline her seat during the flight. That's a first for me. I spent the time watching more shows until my laptop died and read some magazines as well. We got into Houston about 15 minutes early. I stopped by Wendy's to grab a salad for dinner and then took the train to Terminal B for the express flights.

I went to the Terminal B United club and tried to do stand by on the 5:40PM flight to DFW. Even though I was #1 on the waitlist, the flight was oversold at first but they ended up not needing any volunteers. Plus, I did not eat on the flight. I retreated back to the United Club and chatted with the friendly gents there for a bit.

For the rest of the hour there, I managed to book a LAX-PVG trip employing through DFW and ORD both ways. I just need to book my DFW-LAX flight now (probably using miles). I'm not sure where I will go when I land in Shang Hai, but I'm thinking Hong Kong, Kuala Lumpur, Osaka, or somewhere new.

Calling in to request my AA system wide upgrades as soon as I get ticketed.

Side note: AA upgrade cleared for DFW-ORD-SEA later this week. Waiting on SEA-DFW segment now. Come on AA, keep my upgrade record this year at 100%!

No comments:

Post a Comment