Friday, July 20, 2012

Over the Pacific on Cathay: Cathay Pacific Lounges HKG

Over the Pacific on Cathay
a.       Introduction/Preface
d.      Admiral’s Club SFO

Cathay Pacific Lounges HKG

With my filed and completed report in hand, I made my way upstairs to Zone B for my onward flight.  I was not sure if I could check in with the First Class area as an OneWorld Emerald so I checked in with the otherwise deserted Business Class counter.  First the agent told me it was too late to check in for my flight as it had already departed.  I told him that it was only 12:05AM and that the flight was delayed until 2AM.  The agent was confused as to why my luggage was not checked to my final destination and was able to print out my boarding pass (seat 16A) along with a lounge invitation.  He had to check with his colleagues to see what I needed to do when I got to New York since he has never encountered my problem before.

He did not print my onward boarding passes with American Airlines unfortunately.  He did make sure that I had an aircraft that featured the new Business Class configuration.  I made my way to the North security check point as it was the only one open at that time.  The airport felt like a ghost town at this time of the night and a lot of the flights were either delayed or canceled. My flight and the Cathay Flights to Amsterdam/Paris, Dubai/Jeddah, and San Francisco were all delayed until 2AM.  It took about 5 minutes to get through security and go through immigration to airside and it was 12:30AM when all of that was done.  Even though I “stayed” in Hong Kong for 45 minutes, I had an arrival date of April 25th and a departure date of April 26th due to the nature of the flight.

I noticed that my departure gate changed from gate 1 to 521 for some reason.  I made my way to gate 1 to see a lot of people leaving (presumably to gate 521).  After asking one of the agents, he confirmed the change was due the weather causing the aircrafts to be all over the place.  Plus, I noticed that at gate 1 was a Boeing 747 (so obviously not my departure aircraft) and I was not bound for San Francisco or other Cathay Destination this is served by a 747 aircraft.
   

I checked in at the Wing and was advised by the attendant that I could use the upstairs for more seating areas if needed.  I stayed downstairs on the Business side to take advantage of the showers available and it was truly refreshing to have that before a long haul flight.  There were not any good food options left by the time I was finished with my shower at 1AM.  I went upstairs to the First Class section and was surprised to see a new area due to the current renovations.  I grabbed some real food (fried rice) and sliced fruit along with a Coke Zero and bottle of water to enjoy as I was hungry.  I found a Solus chair to sit and used the WiFi to check my email.  I left the lounge at 1:30AM and inquired at the front to see if boarding was starting soon.  The agent told me no but they would make an announcement when it was time.







Snacks


Waiting area by Gate 3

Bathroom

Bathroom

Empty Airport at night
I then headed towards The Cabin by gate 21 as I felt the Wing was too crowded due to all of the delays.  The agent greeted me but told me all of the hot food options were cleared.  I sat down to use the computers for a while but left at about 2AM when I felt that boarding was starting despite no announcements were made.  It took about 5 minutes to get to the departure area for aircrafts in the apron position.   

When I arrived there was a long line snaked all over the departure area.  I asked one of the agents to see if boarding had started and she advised me to go to the end of the long line.  I replied to her and inquired if Business Class was boarding yet… after taking a closer look at my boarding pass, she directed me to the end of the shorter line.  We had one more ID check before getting on the bus and I waited 5 minutes before we were finally taken to the plane.  We had to walk up the steps to get on the aircraft.

No comments:

Post a Comment