Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Over the Pacific on Cathay: The Club at DFW and Admiral’s Club DFW Terminal D

Over the Pacific on Cathay
a.       Introduction/Preface
d.      Admiral’s Club SFO


The Club at DFW and Admiral’s Club DFW Terminal D

After working long hours for the past two and a half days, I was finally able to take a week long break from the daily grind at my day job.  I was looking forward to this trip as it has been about 10 weeks since I have been in the US.  While the weekly trips within the US has kept me busy and appeased my travel bug, but an actual vacation on a 5 star carrier such as Cathay Pacific and going overseas is what I miss the most.  

The traffic was not too terrible on the way to the airport but it took my mom about an hour to go home since she wanted to take her usual route (even though there was a lot of congestion on that highway).  I arrived at DFW a few minutes before 6PM and had to wait for a few minutes to get checked in at the Priority AAccess line in Terminal D even though there were 2 agents working.  The agent was nice and had a little trouble finding my Chinese Visa but I was able to show it her when I thought she was looking for it as she flipped through my passport.  She printed all of my boarding passes and verified that my bag was tagged all the way to Guangzhou.  Since she could not pronounce the name of my final destination, she just pointed to the name on the baggage tag.

The security line at D30 was really long and the Priority AAccess line was about 15 people deep. One of the TSA people told us that the line at D20 was wide open.  I made a beeline to there and the Priority AAccess line only had 2 people ahead of me.  I did inquire to see if the Pre-Check line was available and was told that I had to wait for about 2 more weeks before they set that up.  I ended up behind a lady that took forever to get her belongings.  She was one of those people that stand there and puts back her shoes, jacket and grabs her bags one by one… very slowly.  That caused a big back up on the X-ray belt and the agents started yelling at her.  I grabbed my bags as fast as I could and took it to a table to sort through it.


I decided to head off to Gate 21, the contract lounge complex, that I had access via the Priority Pass (courtesy of my American Express Platinum card).  The agent swiped my card and told me I could stay in Room 2 until 7:30PM.  There are 5 rooms available and they are shared by: British Airways, Lufthansa, Korean Air, KLM, Qantas, Emirates, and a generic contract lounge called “The Club.”  






Essentially, they are all the same in regards to the furniture, snack and drink choices.  There were several Coca-Cola brand soft drinks in cans, several beers, wines, and liquors along with bottle water, teas, and coffee.  Snack included Walker’s cookies biscuits, assorted Lay’s chips, Stacy’s chips, raisins, apples, pretzels, and popcorn.  The only thing that was different was a business center that contained 4 cubicles and a library room which consisted of 2 chairs, some magazines, and a TV.  I stayed until it was closing time and spoke with 2 of the attendants working there.  They both asked me (separately) where I was headed off to and we chatted about traveling in general.







At 7:30PM, I left and headed off to the Admiral’s Club by D24 and got checked in by an agent (Cindy) that recognized me from before.  I made sure she swiped my American Express Platinum card so that American Airlines got paid $25 for my visit.  Since I was traveling on an international itinerary and also Executive Platinum (OneWorld Emerald), I had access to the lounge anyways. She thanked me for being thoughtful and told me that she recognized me.  She was really nice and gave me 2 drink chits to use.  When a bunch of people showed up for check-in, I then took the elevator up to the main club area so she could help the other passengers.  

The lounge was packed as there were probably several people heading to Europe and South America.  I traded one of my chits for a bottle of water and returned the other one back Cindy on my way out.  I did chat with her for a bit and she helped me remember that she used to be at the St. Louis club but relocated with her husband to the DFW area.  That club was subjected to a staff downsizing and since she was able to transfer to a club at DFW, one of her colleagues was able to keep their job.  She said that she remembered me because for a period of time in the Fall of 2010 during the STL double elite miles and triple redeemable miles (quadruple with my Elite Bonus) promotion.  She probably saw me about every other week for a few months as I took full advantage of that offer.  I ended up with 125,000 Elite Qualifying Miles (with no Elite Rewards bonus that year unfortunately) and a whole bunch of Redeemable Miles that year.  I had always made sure to stop by that lounge location so that they got credit for my visit and to print my boarding passes for my continuing flight.  She also told me that she always remembers the nice/polite people that she encounters.

While in the lounge, I found out that American is closing 4 Admiral’s Club Locations: Kansas City (MCI), Washington-Dulles (IAD), Panama City (PTY), and Santa Domingo (SDQ).  Also, the Tucson call center will be closed effective August 24th as well but agents would be given a home-based position or transfer to the DFW call center (with pay and benefits reduction).  My favorite agents to talk to are the Tucson-based and I am very disappointed/saddened to hear that they will be closed in a few months.

Boarding for my flight was scheduled for 7:55PM so I made my way to gate D34 at about 10 minutes before that time as I know some agents like to start boarding early.  By the time I got there, the gate agents were calling for all Priority AAccess passengers to board (right before general boarding)

No comments:

Post a Comment