Thursday, December 31, 2009

Off to Hawaii

I got up early in the morning to take some cash from the ATM and print some of our confirmations. After a quick shower and brunch, I managed to book my ticket to Miami. We got picked up 2.5 hours before we were scheduled to depart. We arrived at T-2 hours and checked in at the counter and dropped off our bags. We got priority luggage tags for all of them despite not being First class.

Security check was brief and we got stuck behind the couple with a baby and stroller. I got to go through the puff scan while the rest of the family did not have to experience. We settled down at the gate and I went by Auntie Anne's for a free pretzel with coupon. Upon boarding, my family dragged their feet for getting in board and them TSA gate would not let them pass until their group was called. I had to ask the gate agent to grant them early boarding with me. Being one of the first ones on board, we had no trouble finding overhead space and settling down.

After we departed, I immediately pulled out the iPod as the American Way magazine was still the same as my last flight. Out movies to watch were Elf and Legally Blond, so nothing worth watching (again). I did watch the reruns of 30 rocks and The Office. We had 3 beverage services through out the flight. We were located in the mini cabin between first and the rest of economy cabin and located near 2 toilets. It was a long flight and the arrival descent was very scenic.

Shortly after we landed and got our luggage, we proceeded to get on the bus to Waikiki hotels. Since it was already night, we could not really see anything. We were the last group to be dropped off. Check in was not problem until we were ready to board the elevator and the agent noticed that we had 3 people. He asked that we were booked for a queen bed. I told him that I booked an ocean view 2 double bed room. They gave our room away so we got stuck in the one queen bed size bed city view room. They offered a roll away bed for the night as well. After dropping off our luggage, we went to Benihana's for dinner.

After searching for a bit and all the people out dressed for the club/new year celebrations, we made it to the restaurant. Despite arriving 15 minutes early and with a reservation, we still had to wait for a table. We sat with an older couple and a Japanese family. The food was good and the show was not bad. I got the steak, mom had the ahi and brother got chicken. The starters were onion soup and salad. Followed by shrimp, mushrooms, asparagus, and bean sprouts. I told the waitress that it was my mom's birthday so they brought out a honeydew plate and candle followed by a Japanese group song.

We went back to the hotel; spoke with the manager who apologized for the mix up and offered a partial refund. We would get moved to a double room starting the next day. The rest of the evening was not eventful with the exception of fireworks bursting through the night. We went to bed at midnight or 4AM Dallas time.

No comments:

Post a Comment