Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Star Alliance Mega-Trip 2012: Cathay Pacific Lounge (The Arrival)

Star Alliance Mega-Trip 2012  
a.      Introduction/Preface
f.       Exploring Frankfurt
t.        Conrad Tokyo
u.      Exploring Tokyo

Cathay Pacific Lounge (The Arrival)


I had hoped for an early arrival into Hong Kong so I could check in with Asiana Airlines and get my boarding pass to Tokyo via Seoul about 12 hours later.  It did appear online that the earliest I could check in was 8PM for my 1AM flight but I will try to see at the transfer desk if I could get my boarding passes at least and also check in my luggage.  If it is not possible, I will leave my luggage with the left luggage service at HKG and then take the Airport Express into the city to grab a Hard Rock Café Shirt and also to take the ferry into Macau to get a shirt there as well.  This would allow me to visit Macau 2 times: both my first and last as it is apparently THE PLACE to gamble and I have no desire to return soon.

 
I went to the lounge and was shocked to find out that I left my boarding pass from my Dragon Air flight at the transfer desk.  Luckily, the agent was able to locate me in her computer system based on what flight I was on and I still had the lounge invite from my inbound flight.  I presented her with my AA Executive Platinum card (after she asked for my Cathay Pacific Marco Polo card that I do not have) and was allowed in immediately.  I was a little surprised to see how small it was.  The buffet selection was not extensive: soup, bread, salads, fruit, chips, peanuts, cookies, and a few sandwiches.  The drinks included coffee, tea, Coke, Sprite, and Coke Zero.  Later, I was presented a menu for the mains offered: noodles, Japanese Bento box, fried fish with potatoes, and penne pasta.  I was also a choice of juices: watermelon (my choice), carrot, apple, or orange.



I went with a little bit of salad and break to started, followed by the server bringing me noodles and later the fried fish entree.  While the food was not bad, it was not to my taste exactly.  I was very pleased with the BBQ pork served at the G16 lounge the last time I was at HKIA heading off to LAX.  They had 8 shower rooms available but no separate bathroom facilities (make sense due to maximizing space). 



There was a lounge rest area, luggage hold area, small dining area, a few cubicles, and a café area. There were 3 PCs (with printers) and 3 MACs were available for use.  I took the time to use the wifi and make a few phone calls.  Then I printed off a 3 day itinerary from Frommer’s for touristy ideas for my 3 days in Tokyo along with directions to/from the Conrad.


Buffet Area

Fish Entree
Sandwiches and Chips
Based on the way the scheduling of the Friendly Limousine Service (big bus) worked, I will take the Airport Express train to Tokyo station and then go on foot/taxi to the Conrad.  For the return, I will take the first bus service to the Airport for my departure.  This being my first time in Tokyo, I am very excited to be visiting it as it has been on my list of places to visit for the longest time.

No comments:

Post a Comment