Sunday, June 10, 2012

Star Alliance Mega-Trip 2012: United Airlines First Class Lounge/United Club at NRT

Star Alliance Mega-Trip 2012  
a.      Introduction/Preface
f.       Exploring Frankfurt
t.        Conrad Tokyo
u.      Exploring Tokyo


United Airlines First Class Lounge/United Club at NRT



We got to the airport at about 8:30AM and the first stop was Terminal 2 (JAL/OneWorld) for those passengers alighting.  Then we went to Terminal 1 (ANA/Star Alliance) south wing and that was my stop.  The whole process was very efficient as my bags were pulled while I got off to get a car and very convenient as well.  

The check-in was organized by Class of Service with Economy passengers on the left side of the Terminal, then an area for Business Class, then First Class, and Finally Star Gold.  This is in contrast to the usual set up of each airline in their individual bay with separate desks for each Class of Service.  Within the First Class, only a few airlines were served (Thai, Air China, Asiana, and Singapore).  ANA, Lufthansa, and Swiss First Passengers were invited to use the Suite Check in which was yet another separate check in zone.  









I was instructed by one of the First Class Zone agents to head to the Suite Check In area.  There were about 10 check-in desks and as soon as I walked in, an agent guided me to her desk area.  I was given a moist towel and then handed my passport over.  The agent printed out my boarding passes and placed my cart on a scale to measure the weight.  She told me that there were 4 passengers in First Class on this flight.  After she tagged my bags, I was directed to the separate private check in area where there was no wait.  The security agents there were very polite and took their time with everyone.  


After security, I converged with the other passengers in the immigration area and that took about 5 minutes.  After entering the secured terminal area, I looked at the map to see what clubs I had access to before departing.  I first went to the United International First Lounge to have a gander.  It was on the 2nd floor of the United Club and I was told by the front desk agent that the ANA lounge was closer to my departure gate.   




After boarding the elevator, I was greeted by the lounge attendant who scanned my boarding pass.  She did let me know that no boarding announcements were made and I needed to watch my time closely.  I stayed for about 10 minutes and had a few things from their meager offerings.  I am not sure if it was the time of the day or because that they did not have many passengers, but the food offered was very shabby.  They had clam chowder, a few rice balls, snack mixes, fruit, cereal, and dim sum.  Drink and alcohol selection were decent.  I did like the atmosphere and the décor the Lounge featured and there was nice business area to work.  There were also 4 massage chairs for use but I did not take advantage of them.  There was not much going around and very little food offerings... so I headed back downstairs after a bit.



















Then I went downstairs to see what the Business Class side looked like.  This part was on the main level and was a huge club.  It was spacious and the décor was pretty nice too with a good view of the tarmac.  The food offered on this side was the same as upstairs, minus a few things here and there.  Overall, it has to be one of the nicest (if the THE) United Club in the system.  I do hear that the Hong Kong one if pretty nice took.  At about 9:30AM, I headed off to the other side of the terminal to the ANA lounge to make a comparison.








No comments:

Post a Comment