Sunday, April 15, 2012

Star Alliance Mega-Trip 2012: Lufthansa Welcome Lounge at FRA

Star Alliance Mega-Trip 2012  
a.      Introduction/Preface
f.       Exploring Frankfurt
t.        Conrad Tokyo
u.      Exploring Tokyo

Lufthansa Welcome Lounge at FRA

The flight landed at Terminal gate 22 and we departed via the jet bridge.  I went to the transfer desk to obtain a boarding pass but was notified that Thai did not have a transfer desk at Frankfurt and I would have to go to the check in counter for Thai to get my boarding pass when they opened. 

I went through border control, luggage claims, and customs on the way to level 1 for arrivals.  The Lufthansa Welcome Lounge was easy to spot and a nice place to visit if Frankfurt is the final destination or stop over on a trip.  This initiative is the first of its kind for Lufthansa.  The lounge concept is catered to the needs of passengers arriving on long-haul Lufthansa flights and the facility is made available for first, business class passengers and for Star Gold status customers.

The floor area of the lounge is around 1,200 sq meters on two levels and it is equipped with all the facilities required for passengers to freshen up after an intercontinental flight and organize themselves for the day ahead. The lounge, which is situated on the upper level consists of a spacious cozy area with lounging as well as calm zone for relaxing.  It also includes an eatery where snacks is available for passengers or can help themselves with breakfast dishes. The passengers can also use the facility of wireless internet access and also avail of the cloakroom where they can leave their baggages during their time of stay.


I presented my boarding pass to the attendant and after answering a phone call, he finally let me into the lounge.  I sat down with the other attendant to enquire on getting to Nordwestzentrum (North West Mall) via the train and she gave me detailed instructions and assured me that I would not have to come in contact with the rain as the subway is underground and the place I am going is a covered mall area.  She directed me to the sleeping room but I opted for a shower first.  The main level of the lounge has a sleeping room, business cubicles, quiet room, lounge area, buffet bar and a dining area.  The lower level has a waiting room and about 26 shower rooms.  After signing in, I was given room #4 and had a great hot shower.  They provided me with a shaving kit and dental kit for my usage.  After the long shower, I went upstairs to take advantage of the wifi and food to eat.  At about 12:45pm, the attendant came by to let everyone know that they would be closing at 1PM. 
Stairs to the shower rooms below

Reception Area for showers
Waiting room for showers






Dining Room
Lots of open seating
Variety of Food Choices


Sleeping room
I proceeded to the Thai Check in counter and flight TG921 was scheduled to leave at about 2PM.  I asked to have them present a boarding pass to me for my flight that was departing later, but the mean agent told me I would have to return at 5:30PM as my flight was scheduled to depart at 8:30PM.  She told me there was no way for me to get one and I could not visit the lounges as I could not get through security.  I was not at all pleased with her response since I wanted to drop off my carry-on luggage in the lounge and head towards the city.  The left luggage service would cost €5 ($7) so I took my bags with me into to town.Saves me the trouble/time of having to reclaim the luggage later and packing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment