Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Star Alliance Mega-Trip 2012: Marriott SkyCity Hong Kong

Star Alliance Mega-Trip 2012  
a.      Introduction/Preface
f.       Exploring Frankfurt
t.        Conrad Tokyo
u.      Exploring Tokyo

Marriott SkyCity Hong Kong


By the time I arrived into Hong Kong, it was 7:30PM and I was cleared out of customs and immigration at 8PM.  My luggage was one of the first to arrive and it still had the United Star Alliance Priority tags still one it.  I was a little disappointed that the Lufthansa First/HON tag was not placed nor any Thai Airways First tags were placed either… just the plain United ones were left on there… but it did the job.  I wanted to check in with Dragon Air to deposit my luggage with them overnight so schlepping them to and from the hotel would not be necessary.  I went to Counter Areas B/C servicing Cathay Pacific first but was directed to Counter H where Dragon Air has servicing.  

I inquired at the First Class check in to see if it was possible to at least get a boarding pass for my morning flight and then if they would take my bags.  The agent told me I could get a boarding pass but repeatedly made sure that I indeed I wanted to check in my bags overnight.  I think she was trying to persuade me not to leave it overnight.  

After issuing my boarding pass and lounge invitation, she asked me to place my bags on the belt to be weighed.  They came out to 50kg together and that was 10kg over the limit for business class passengers.  She told me that the overage was 78HKD per kg… so that was 780HKD or $100USD.  I asked if she could help me out being an OneWorld Emerald member and coming from the US, I should be allowed extra baggage.  She told me that since I was on a separate ticket on arrival, she could not extend anything to help me out.  I again asked if there was no other way, she replied…. “Not really.”  

I had no choice but to ask if she could speak with her supervisor.  She went and spoke to Pam, a supervisor, and then came back to tell me that I would not have to pay extra baggage fees.  Pam only asked to see my inbound ticket and flight numbers.  She told me that they had a policy that for passengers inbound from the US, within the last 30 days, have special baggage privileges.  She also asked if I was one of their OneWorld elite members to which I flashed my card with the logo on it.  

After this ordeal… it was about 8:45PM and I made my way back to the arrivals level to check out the hotel courtesy desks.  I found my way to the Marriott table #5 and they were very accommodating.  I told them I was staying with them at the Sky City Marriott and the gentleman found my name in their list of hotels.  He told me to have a seat while they called for the driver and I would be on my way soon.  I had to share the van with an older (50’s) Chinese couple and 2 Qatar pilots.  The ride was a very short 5 minute 2 mile ride to the hotel property.  Upon arrival, I had a member of the staff greet me immediately and took my bag to my hotel room.



We arrived on Level 7 and I was taken to room 758.  We when opened the door, I saw how big the room was and commented that the room was nice.  My concierge smiled and told me that I had been upgraded to one of the suites.  They even have a bowl of fruit at the table for me.  After signing paperwork for the stay and given the executive lounge access policy, I was left alone.  This room was big… it had 1 & ½ bathrooms, a living room with desk, and a large King-sized bed in the bedroom.  After finding the Ethernet cable, I decided that it was too late to go into town for the Hard Rock Café for my T-Shirt collection so I decided to stay in the hotel.  I would have to get it next time in Hong Kong.






 


 



 
Night View of the Convention Center
Even though I requested a wake-up call at 6AM, I still set my alarm for 6AM on my phone.  I woke up, packed my bags, and went to the Executive Lounge to eat breakfast. 
 
 
Day View of the Convention Center

They had a hot meal option available of eggs, bacon, chicken sausage, hash brown, and omelet station.  They also had pastries, bread, fruit, yogurt, and cereal available as well.  I grabbed a plate and a bottle of water to enjoy.  The other option I had was a breakfast in the hotel restaurant at no charge.

Hotel Lobby
I checked out of my room in the lounge and went back to my room at 7:15AM.  The airport shuttle bus came at 7:20AM as it operated on the hour and every 20 minutes after that.  It was a quick ride to HKIA Terminal 1 and I was on my way to security and customs/immigration.  Being as it was the New Year season; there were a lot of people traveling… more than usual.

Note: This Hotel is now a Marriott Category 5 property meaning it costs 25,000 Marriott Rewards points per night

No comments:

Post a Comment